CAF In The News

Liberal groups plan mobilization

washingtonpost.com — A broad range of liberal interest groups yesterday announced plans for a costly independent drive to mobilize left-leaning voters for the 2008 election, much of it targeting younger and minority voters.

Leaders from the loose coalition of groups predicted a combined spending effort that will total more than $350 million.

During a news conference describing the endeavor, leaders from several of the groups made it clear that the effort is aimed at taking on presumptive Republican presidential nominee John McCain. McCain is already the target of an independent ad paid for by the Fund for America, a group financed by wealthy financier George Soros, and by the Service Employees International Union.

Take Back America

time-blog.com — Not unsurprisingly, Obama won the Take Back America straw poll. The progressives today finish their annual three-day conference here in DC. A whopping 72% were for Obama, compared to 16% for Clinton, with just 12% saying they’d be happy with either. And 69% said Obama was better equipped to beat McCain versus 15% for Clinton. (See Politico story here.)

Groups on Left and Right Eye More Primary Targets

rollcall.com — When the liberal group Campaign for America’s Future kicks off its annual “Take Back America” conference in Washington, D.C., today, Donna Edwards, the nonprofit executive who ousted Rep. Albert Wynn (Md.) in the Democratic primary last month, will play a prominent role.

A United Liberal Front

thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com — A coalition of liberal groups will coordinate $350 million worth of efforts to mobilize voters and advocate for candidates for the general election, its leaders are expected to announce Tuesday at the 2008 Take Back America conference.

Liberals to Spend $150 Million on '08

ap.google.com — A loose coalition of liberal and labor organizations expects to spend about $150 million this fall to push its causes and help Democrats win the White House and strengthen their grip on Congress. Participants include the two main labor coalitions — the AFL-CIO and Change to Win — as well as MoveOn.org and voter mobilization groups for minorities and young people. Organizers were announcing the effort Tuesday during conference sponsored by the liberal Campaign for America's Future.

Liberals take back their swagger

politico.com — For much of the 2008 primary season, the Democratic left has been uneasy. At the liberal Take Back America conference two years ago, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton was booed for her opposition to a “date certain” troop withdrawal from Iraq. A year ago, her reception was similarly negative.

But on Monday, hundreds of progressive activists gathered in a ballroom at the Omni Shoreham Hotel in Washington did not blanch when Robert Borosage, co-director of the Campaign for America’s Future, declared: “It doesn’t matter who wins the Democratic nomination.”

'Take Back America' Conference Is a Chance for Democrats to Highlight Progressive Politics

washingtonpost.com — Tomorrow kicks off the fifth annual Take Back America conference in Washington -- a gathering of groups across the progressive spectrum aimed at planning and coordinating their efforts heading into the November election and beyond.

"We are headed to what has the potential to be a sea-change election, not just a change election," said Bob Borosage, co-director of the Campaign for America's Future and one of the founders of the conference.

Barbie Tells CPSC to Get The Lead Out In Viral Video

washingtonpost.com — Monica Hesse of The Washington Post features the Campaign for America's Future Youtube video, "Toxic Toys: A Poisonous Affair," calling for Nancy Nord's ouster.

Barbie, Ken Push Lead Issue

latimes.com — The Associated Press writes on the Campaign for America's Future YouTube video using Barbie and Ken to call for the removal of Consumer Product Safety Commission Acting Chairman Nancy Nord.

10-Year-Old Boycotts Political Photo Ops

examiner.com — The Examiner covers the release of Campaign for America's Future new YouTube video featuring a 10-year-old threatening to boycott photo ops if House members fail to override President Bush's veto of the children's health insurance bill.